With winter in full swing, this bowl of Italian Chicken & Veggie Soup is the perfect meal when you need to warm up! I’m a huge fan of all types of soups (and it really doesn’t matter what time of year it is!) and easily enjoyed throwing this one together with most of the vegetables I had in the fridge. The seasoning in this recipe is simple yet flavorful. If you are looking for a new soup recipe to try out, give this one a look and you won’t be disappointed!
Ready to warm up with this chicken soup? Pin it to save!
I originally made this recipe in a pot but I know the trend is all about Instant Pot (which I personally cannot live without now) or even using a slow cooker because it’s easy, duh. With that in mind, you can easily cook both of these in an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker. Just remember to keep the kale, beans, and eggplant until the very end so they don’t get too mushy. No one likes mushy soup!
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Pound of Chicken Thighs, Boneless, Skinless
- 1 Onions, Diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3 Leeks, Diced
- 5-8 Carrots (I used Rainbow carrots), Diced
- 3 Stalks of Celery, Diced
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley
- 2 Stalks of Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1-2 Quarts Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Kale, Chopped Roughly
- 1 Diced Eggplant
- 1 Can of Cannellini Beans, Rinsed & Drained
- 1 Lime to Garnish
- Before you begin, take the time to prep and chop up all your vegetables. It really takes out the stress of trying to chop and stir at the same time. I prep all my vegetables and put them into little bowls to toss in when ready.
- Cut the chicken into 2 inch pieces, seasoning with salt & pepper on both sides. Using a stock pot, turn the heat to medium high, adding the 1 tablespoon of oil. Once heated, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown the chicken. Remove the chicken and place aside on a plate.
- Add the additional tablespoon of oil, heat then add your onions with a pinch of salt. Sweat the onions for a few minutes before adding the garlic and leeks. Cook for about 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Add the carrots and celery with more salt & pepper. Continue to stir and soften for an additional 5 minutes or so. Add the parsley in.
- Add the chicken back into the pot and stir to mix everything well. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, thyme, and Italian seasoning. Stir and then add in the chicken stock. You want to make sure the chicken stock goes about 1-2 inches above the level of the mixture.
- Next, turn the stove down to medium low and cover. Cook for 1-2 hours (the more time the better), checking on it every so often and stirring.
- Lastly, once everything has had time to simmer and you are just about ready to serve, add the Kale, Cannellini Beans, and Eggplant. Stir into the soup and cook for 15 additional minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and taste your broth to see if it needs any additional seasoning. Grab a big bowl with a lime wedge, a sprinkle of parsley, and ENJOY!