Say what? Yep, Cauliflower can be riced and it’s pretty good too! This recipe took some time to perfect it, but now I’m so happy with the outcome. Cauliflower has become a staple in our household ever since we switched our eating lifestyle to low carb a few years ago. I honestly never knew how versatile Cauliflower can be until I couldn’t have rice and mashed potatoes. If you have never tried cauliflower riced or in any other form, it really does hold up well to any sort of dinner you are pairing it with. I’ve made fried rice using the same techniques here for an take out feel for one night, or I’ve added different spices to dress it up for whatever protein I’m working with.
Looking for a healthy rice option? Pin it to save!
The best part about using Cauliflower versus actual rice is the time it takes to make. You can literally have this ready to go in 10 minutes or less. Try it out and I promise you won’t be disappointed! The recipe I’m sharing today is the classic version I make for most of our dinners, using a little bit of lime to give it some extra oomph and usually mix in Cilantro or Parsley (whatever you have on hand) for some color. I paired this riced recipe with my Insant Pot Carne Asada Chicken Bowls for the perfect low-carb weeknight meal!
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ Lime, Juice
- 1 Lime, Zest
- Parsley and/or Cilantro to Garnish
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Begin by removing the stem from the cauliflower and throwing way it with all the leaves. Roughly chop into pieces to fit into your food processor.
- With the regular food processor blend, add the cauliflower, in batches, if needed, and pulse until the cauliflower is cut into small rice pieces, similar to snow.
- Heat a pan with olive oil on medium high heat. When the pan is ready and warm, add the cauliflower rice and salt & pepper.
- Using a spoon, stir the cauliflower while it's cooking, about 3-4 minutes. To get a nice sear, press down flat on the pan for about 30 seconds without stirring. The color of the cauliflower will not change much from it's original state so cooking it is really fast.
- Remove from heat and add lime zest and juice. Stir in to mix in. Top with a garnish of your choice, your main dish, and enjoy!