Now what is a better comfort food than a casserole? I know, it’s one of my favorites. I wanted to switch it up a little bit with this twist on a part stir fry and part casserole. The ingredients are basic and can be used with frozen or fresh veggies, whatever you have on hand. This dish is the perfect combo of sweet, spicy, and cheesy!
Wanna stir up something tasty? Pin it to save!
When I first created this recipe, I was pet sitting for my best friend. Usually she doesn’t have too much in her fridge so when I found these random ingredients, I thought, why not? I knew the basics for the bechamel, so I went with the stir fry and cassarole thing, which ended up being delish!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded
- 2 cups pasta
- 2 chicken breast (chopped small)
- Garlic salt
- 1½ Frozen stir fry vegetables
- 2½ cups any type of shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Add the pasta and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until al dente. Drain well & add to a greased casserole dish.
- Brown chicken breast (chopped and use garlic salt & pepper to season) in a hot pan with a splash of olive oil. Add stir fry vegetables and cook until soft. Add to casserole dish.
- Using the same pan that the chicken was cooked, melt the butter then add the flour. Cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the white sauce is thickened and creamy.
- Off the heat, add the cheese, 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, the pepper, and nutmeg. Stir together until the cheese is melted.
- Combine the cheese sauce, pasta, and chicken stir fry together in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the crumbs over the pasta and bake for 20 to 35 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the crumbs are golden brown. Serve hot and ENJOY!